Sunday 14 June 2015

candles

As part of my AOP board ive decided to make scale candles and here's how.
I cut up cotton wool buds and bits of sprue to various sizes, drilled a small hole and super glues florists wire for the wick. I then applied multiple  layers of thinned PVA glue for the melted wax
                       

Once glued in place more PVA was added. In total ive added about 5 layers of glue, letting each layer thoroughly dry before adding the next.
I will base coat these whete then shade with thinned down serephin sepea. The wick will be painted black and the very tip dark brown as if its been burnt. Not sure if i will add flames out of green stuff or not yet.
All credit to twistedbrushes.blogspot.co.uk for the ideas
C+C welcome


4 comments:

  1. Can I suggest starting with a bone colour washing with sepia then highlighting bone and finally white to give you some depth to your 'tallow'. As I said on eavier metal it's looking fine, I'm looking forward to seeing the final effect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David. Ill give that a try. Wanted slightly different shades to makes some look older than others

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then that colour method mixed with your original idea should give you some variance. I think that would actually work out very well. Please keep us updated with the progress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ill give both a try and post pics to see what you think

    ReplyDelete