Thursday 4 June 2015

Dark Angels armies on parade WIP

Hi. Ive been posting WIP on facebook for a while of my armies on parade board so thought its about time i did a blog on it. So here it is...

I originally  started doing an Armies on parade board about 3 yrs ago but moving house, getting married and day to day life got in the way.
Finally got around to finishing it but i wasnt happy with my original attempt so i ripped it all out ready to start again.
The first board was a 2'x2' sheet of mdf with a border of 1" high decorative moulding
This was cut at to form a basic frame. All in all it was pretty sturdy. Inside was filled with polystyrene  ceiling tiles. The rest of the display  was built up from there. I ripped all the display part leaving just the from filled with ceiling tiles.
My original board was a Dark Angel theme in search for the Fallen titled 'The Hunt'.
A few simple sketches  came up with this.
Then a simple mock up using more ceiling tiles

I decided to have 3 levels. Level 1 is a tiled floor with a marble effect DA symbol. Level 2 is a stone floor with a set of stairs, space marine statue and a rail around and level 3 is a ruined cathedral complete with stained glass window and broken aquilla.

I started with the first level. I layed down a tough thin layer of plaster of paris to the base to give it some texture under the broken tiles. I then decided to make the tiled floor. Using a sheet of 1mm thick card from a hobby store i drew out the complete design.  This was a bit fiddly to get the shape and angles of the DA symbol but once i was happy i cut out the symbol leaving the rest of the floor intact  and to make it easier to paint.
I knew i wanted this centre piece to be marble effect so after lots of research on google and looking at fellow painters work i was happy with how i wanted it to look. A white winged sword on a green background.
I then masked off the background and concentrated on the sword.
More to come soon .....

1 comment:

  1. From another armies on Parade entrant to another great to see your thoughts in the planning stages (mine is all floating about in my head and a fair bit of musical minis on the board in progress. As I read your blog you first attempted this board 2013 that was the year I first entered and qualified gold in my local store. If you want to see some of the other gold medal entrants from that year (great inspirational references) check out the Games days photos on my own blog (occasionally added to, but I don't think anyone ever reads it tbh) http://wargamesnirvana.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete